< back to Attorney Profiles
Joshua S. Goldberg
Josh Goldberg is a Partner in Carpenter Lipps & Leland LLP's Chicago office. For fifteen years, Josh has obtained favorable litigation results for clients. In addition to taking cases through trial and appeals in a variety of state and federal venues, Josh also advises clients in all aspects of their businesses to avoid costly litigation.
While Josh handles all types of litigation, he focuses primarily on disputes involving insurance, real estate, employment, contracts, intellectual property, and fraud.
- Obtained dismissal of Racketeering Influenced and Corrupt Organizations Act class action for one of the nation's largest insurers accused of fraud in setting reimbursement rates for auto body repair shops;
- Obtained dismissal of discrimination suit against one of the nation's largest insurers and other defendants, including the City of Chicago, regarding Chicago waste-hauling contracting;
- Represented auto insurer seeking return of vehicles stolen from dealer lots and later impounded by the City of Chicago;
- Defended one of Chicago's most prominent real estate developers and lenders against claims of direct and vicarious liability to condominium purchasers from failed development of Las Vegas property;
- Obtained award of specific performance, damages, and fees for home buyers after multi-week trial against developer, builder, and their individual owners for breach of contract;
- Represented real estate developer in suit by joint venture partners alleging breach of fiduciary duty and fraud in failed development of drug rehabilitation facility;
- Represented commercial property owner in pre-litigation dispute with national pet food manufacturer tenant regarding listeria infiltration in food plant;
- Represented snow removal company in several arbitration proceedings against commercial real estate owners for breach of contract;
- Represented numerous commercial real estate ventures in disputes involving construction defects, mortgage foreclosure, and mechanics lien foreclosures;
- Obtained injunctive relief for one of the world's largest bio-fuel testing and inspection companies against former managers and competitor for misappropriation of trade secrets and tortious interference with contracts;
- Represented leading vacuum cleaner manufacturer in suit against competitor alleging patent infringement and false advertising under the Lanham Act;
- Represented healthcare consulting company in suit by medical device manufacturer alleging tortious interference with contract and misappropriation of trade secrets;
- Represented mortgage lender in suit by former broker alleging unpaid overtime under the Fair Labor Standards Act;
- Represented numerous employers and employees in disputes regarding restrictive covenants and unpaid compensation;
General Commercial Litigation Matters
- Represented the State of Illinois as Special Illinois Attorney General in successful administrative hearing and appeal by dozens of discharged civil service employees;
- Represented credit card company in suit by buyer of restaurant business regarding buyer's demand for credit card sales revenue;
- Represented automobile floor mat manufacturer in responding to subpoena in class action suit against Toyota Motor North America regarding unintended acceleration of vehicles;
- Led five-attorney litigation team and served as first-chair counsel in one-week first degree murder trial;
- Conducted internal investigation of national banking institution.
Before joining Carpenter Lipps & Leland LLP, Josh practiced with the international law firm of Winston & Strawn, LLP in Chicago. Before becoming a lawyer, Josh worked as a newspaper reporter for The Billings Gazette in Billings, Montana and The Chicago Daily Law Bulletin in Chicago, focusing on various aspects of the courts, law enforcement, and the legal industry.
Education and Honors:
University of Illinois (B.A., 1993)
Northwestern University's Medill School of Journalism (M.S.J., 1996)
University of Chicago Law School (J.D., 2002)
State of Illinois, 2002
United States District Court for the Northern District of Illinois, 2002
United States Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit, 2002